Thursday, November 4, 2010

My 5 Year Old is REPULSED by Fruit - PLEASE HELP

My daughter has sensory issues - some of the worst moments are around certain food, smells and the feel of many items of clothes. The most difficult for me though is her inability to touch, smell or be near almost every type of fruits. I've tried everything that I can think of but when it comes to strawberries and grapes especially - two of my FAVORITE fruits - she can't stand the site of them now. She wants so badly to eat apples, bananas, pears - she did try watermelon at a 4th of July get together. It actually didn't cause the reaction that most fruits seem to cause, some of which are running around with flailing hands, screaming -it's like she's not sure where to go or what to do. There is also usually gagging, sometimes vomiting, just a total lack of control-but then again she really just held the watermelon to her mouth and then handed it over to me so maybe that's why it didn't affect her. I am at a loss for what to feed her. I've bought a juicer, made smoothies- I've tried everything I can think of including cutting fruit into funny shapes and making those crazy fruit toothpick sculpture type things - HELP ME!!!  What do you do when your child can't eat food that is good for her because it makes her physically ill?


She CAN eat some veggies - she loves salad and raw spinach oddly, also only canned, french cut green beans will do. She hates fresh green beans! I welcome any and all suggestions for my odd problem. 
She's very happy and healthy even without fruit but I want her to be happier and healthier!!

0 comments: