Tuesday, May 24, 2011

5 Summer Getaways Every Kid Should Experience

My daughter at Orange Beach, right after sunset



When I was a little girl, my family would go on vacation once or twice a  year - sometimes to the beach, sometimes to the mountains.  Money was always tight but my parents found ways to save - instead of flying, we either rented a car or drove our own. It took longer of course but I am so glad that we did it that way because half the fun was the ride! The memories from those trips are ones that I will treasure for a lifetime.  I think that every child deserves to have summers packed full of fun and excitement, with a dash of relaxation. Here are a few of the getaways that I think every kid should get to experience:

1. Beaches - The Gulf Coast is my favorite of course! I have visited other beaches but the Alabama Gulf Coast beaches will always have a special place in my heart. This is a vacation spot that we hit nearly every year. When we weren't making sandcastles on the beach or playing in the hotel pool, we were eating seafood or trying to find the perfect seashell. The gorgeous white sand beaches and emerald waters are like no other.  The sunsets are indescribable. Besides making sandcastles, finding seashells, swimming and shopping, there is so much more to do in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach. Family friendly and and historical sites like Fort Morgan are fun and educational. For nature lovers there's kayaking with the dolphins and biking the trails in the State Park.

2. The Mountains - we always went to Smoky Mountains in Georgia or to the mountains in North Carolina. The mountains are a great destination any time of year. I have never met a mountain range that I didn't love. Whether with family or by myself, I feel relaxed and in tune with nature when I'm in the outdoors and that amazing mountain air does wonders for your soul. I think that camping out and hiking are two activities that every single child needs to experience with their family. 

3. Washington D.C. - Talk about a destination that is full of excitement and activities! There are so many great museums, parks and historical monuments to visit so kids will never be bored in our nation's capital. 

4. DisneyWorld- While I have never been there, I think that every child should get to go to DisneyWorld. Hopefully I'll be making a trip to the Magical Kingdom with my family in the near future!

5. R.V. Road Trip Across the U.S. -This is another activity that I have yet to complete but I hope that we will get to do this one year. I think that a cross country trip in an RV would be incredible. I've been on RV trips with friends and it was so much fun. On a road trip across the country, you'd get to visit so many off beat places. Plus you would get to spend a lot of time with your family and it would be a little bit chaotic at times but worth every single crazy second.

No matter where you decide to go, remember to relax and have a good time. I know that sometimes vacations can be stressful and many of us feel like taking a vacation from the vacation. Instead of stressing out, just try to go with the flow. Focus on spending quality time with your family and save the worries for another day!
Whether you need a car when you get to your destination or you will be driving to your vacation spot this year, Alamo Rent A Car can help: 
"Founded in 1974, Alamo Rent A Car is a value-oriented, internationally recognized brand serving the rental needs of airport leisure travelers. Alamo offers low rental rates and a hassle-free customer experience at the most popular travel destinations throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, Latin America and Asia. In addition, Alamo customers in the U.S. are able to conveniently choose their own vehicles, based upon their advance reservation and requested car class, and then simply drive away from the airport."

The Alamo membership club, Alamo Insiders, offers its members numerous perks including exclusive, member-only deals, quick and simple reservations, and frequent traveler miles with each rental. 


 I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Alamo blogging program, for a gift card worth $25. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

0 comments: