Friday, February 18, 2011

New Blogging Feature: Learn How to Start a Blog and Tips for New Bloggers


I've had emails from moms asking me how I started blogging and if they can make money by starting a blog. I decided to share the tips and resources that I've gained over the past few months so that you can avoid making some of the mistakes I made. Blogging can be intimidating but once you make a few basic decisions, it can be (and in my opinion should be) fun and enjoyable. It can also be therapeutic. 
Oh and about the money part - I haven't made any but some people do. It takes a lot of time and a lot of effort but if making money is your sole reason for starting a blog, I wouldn't advise it unless you have done plenty of research beforehand. But this post deals with the most basic decision when it comes to startig a blog: what is your motivation for blogging? 
Before you start deciding on blog names, domain names and blog platforms, first decide what you want to blog about. I originally wanted to blog about my new endeavor into using all natural beauty and cleaning products,then I decided to write a family life blog - but, as you can see, I eventually chose to focus on product reviews, giveaways and frugal life tips. I love sharing deals with my friends and family and I've been a frugal shopper since college so it just seemed like a great place to start. However, I now want to also share my journey into gradually 'greening' my lifestyle and I am starting a second blog on going green in baby steps and leading a healthier, more natural lifestyle. If you are like me and you have a hard time narrowing your focus to one topic, go with the one you are the most passionate about. You can always start a second blog later on!
Here are a few motivations for blogging:
1. You are Pregnant - Starting a blog is a great way to keep friends and family updated on your pregnancy. It's also a nice way to express the range of emotions you're feeling. Remember, you can start a blog for free. You can also keep it public or make it private if you want. Don't worry if you're not a great writer - this is for you, your loved ones and your little bundle of joy!
2. To Keep In Touch With Friends and Family - Again, blogging is a great way to keep your loved ones updated on what's going on in your life. You can share photos, stories and videos with your family and friends you rarely see.
3. Share Your Experience and/or Expertise on Anything - You can share parenting tips, weight loss advice, how to deal with losing a loved one, single parenting, cooking, green living, organizing, saving money - ANYTHING! If you are knowledgeable in a particular subject, you are lucky because you already have your blogging niche (which I will discuss later) and you already have a targeted audience. Plus, you have a topic that you are probably passionate about which will make writing new content fun. It can also be therapeutic.

There are so many different reasons for starting a blog. As long as you're having a good time and not getting stressed out by your blog, you will do fine. If you have ANY advice or comments PLEASE don't hesitate to leave a comment. 

I will post any links to blogging resources and tips that I come across in order to help you with your journey into blogging!

0 comments: